In 2019, I entered the digital product arena, and my life completely changed. I have been able to harness the skills to make additional income, passively, and foster a community of like-minded people who are motivated to learn new skills and make money doing it.
If you have been daydreaming about taking control of your life and creating financial freedom, you’ve come to the right place! Digital products are the future and if you aren’t harnessing the power of internet sales, you might fall behind. Keep reading to learn how to stay on top of the changing market and how to get started selling digital products.
What Are Digital Products?
Digital products are opposite to physical products (think: clothing, vehicles, computers, books) as they exist only in the digital realm. Digital products are typically something one downloads and uses digitally, on their laptop, computer or mobile phone, and can be sold online or at retailers. My favorite element is that they can be purchased and downloaded instantly, making them super easy for both customer and the seller. And I firmly believe anyone can be the seller—more on that below. Firstly, some examples of digital products are:
- Online courses and educational products. Who doesn’t love to enhance learning and continue to grow? We can always stand to learn new skills and improve ourselves. If you have a niche skill, why not share it with the world?!
- Templates. Templates are for all you creative people! Templates are stellar for graphic designers, HR specialists, web designers, and, well, anyone who wants to share their digital templates for products like resume templates, ebook templates, website designs, social media templates and more.
- E-books. What you see is what you get with e-Books, a versatile digital booklet whereby the seller can fill the pages with valuable insight on a particular concept, or business idea or sell something. This is a popular option for bloggers, writers or entrepreneurs.
- Photos or videos. People can sell their imagery and there is always a big need for non-copyrighted images and content in our online, social media world.
- Coaching. Coaching allows you to connect with your community, and share your skills and ideas 1×1.
- Memberships. Memberships are a brilliant model that cultivates a long-term partnership with your community. It allows you to provide regular updates, new knowledge and exclusive content.
One of the biggest draws to creating digital products is its unbeatable potential for passive income. Passive income is a type of income that is made automatically with very work or work that is easily maintained. You may have heard the saying, “make once, sell forever”, which I love! Spend some time creating your product which is something you can sell forever without you having to make it constantly.
Anyone Can Find Success with Digital Products
As I said above, I firmly believe that anyone can take advantage of the online space and make a killing with digital products! If you have access to a computer, an internet connection, and a little dedication, every single person has the opportunity to sell a digital product business. This can be something you pursue part-time, on the side or even make it into your full-time gig.
How to Get Started Today Selling Digital Products
I have had a lot of excellent trial and error and success that make me a credible guide in this department. Let’s get you started today in selling successful digital products.
1. Market Research
The main thing you want to do is determine what value you can bring to the space, without contributing to an already saturated space. You will have the best success if you create a digital product that is something people are actually searching for and something with low competition!
Try not to overthink your ideas, as you can continue to develop and perfect your idea into something special. And remember, you don’t have to be an expert to create a digital product, but you do have to add value and offer something people are interested in.
In addition to market research, consider the following about your own self:
- What information, skills, or experience do I have that I could educate others?
- What sets my soul on fire? What are my real interests and passions?
- What are my core values and morals? Can I use these to educate others?
- Is there something I can talk about all day about?!
- What do I have certifications in?
- Am I more creative minded or is my skill set in strategy?
2. Niche it out
The more specific your digital products are, the better! By finding a niche you can create more compelling and unique products that the customer will deem your product of the most value. When you discover a niche, you can become a complete expert on the topic, allowing you to become the leader of the pack. Remember, the more specific, the better.
3. Open your very own storefront
Hold up, store front?! Don’t worry, I mean your online Etsy storefront, of course!
Digital products are flying like hotcakes on Etsy as some of the top performers! Etsy shoppers are always on the hunt for the best new one available — which could be yours. Etsy is a trusted website that is super user-friendly and has very low upfront costs. Win-win.
4. Complete my Digital Shop From Scratch course
My Digital Shop From Scratch course is the best way to get going on starting your own digital product business journey. I have had so many brilliant people complete my course (which by the way, can be finished in just over an hour!) and say to me: it’s that easy!? Why haven’t I started this sooner?! So don’t wait any longer! With my course you can look forward to working through 4 distinct modules that offer:
- How to do market research like a pro
- How to develop specialized keywords so your product pops on the internet
- Best practice for creating a top-performing Etsy storefront from the get-go
- Make a standout digital product and suggestions to get you started
- How to create Etsy ads and pages for additional performance
- Ways to outsource to buy back your time and freedom
The course is designed for beginners, so don’t fret if you are not from a business background. And if you are thinking, “But I don’t have a creative bone in my body!” That is cool, I’ve got you covered, too. When you purchase my course, you get lifetime access so you can come back to it whenever you need some additional support and help.
Are you ready to change your life?! Which digital product will you be creating?!